The PEAR Project mourns the loss of Bertrand Gugger

The PEAR Project has lost a member of its community. Bertrand Gugger (toggg) passed away in the night from June 16th to 17th after suffering a heart attack.

Bertrand was involved in the maintenance of several important PEAR packages, including the Validate package family.

He leaves behind a wife and four children, who have our deepest sympathy. He will be missed.

The SPIP project, where Bertrand was involved as well, has compiled a list of his achievements as a tribute to him. It is available at

About Greg

Elected PEAR president from May 1, 2007-May 1, 2008
This entry was posted in Announcements. Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to The PEAR Project mourns the loss of Bertrand Gugger

1. Pingback: Arnaud

2. We have lost a friend! Toggg, you will be missed! :(
    –Marcelo

3. Aaron says:

Having met Bertrand in person, and communicated with him on IRC over the last 3-4 years, I am deeply saddened by this news.

Toggg was a good coder and was passionate about the community and the integrity of the code that was being developed. We will all miss his presence.

Sympathies to his family.

4. Pingback: Five Minutes » Blog Archive » toggg

5. Norbert says:

I’m so sorry. I remember discussing many interesting topics online with him. We didn’t talk recently but I always appreciated his efforts on making the world a better place for all of us by his contributions to all the open source stuff he has been working on. toggg, we’re gonna miss you a lot.

6. Pingback: Olivier _Carmine_ G.

7. Pingback: developercast.com » Community News: PEAR Project Looses Valued Contributor - Bertrand Gugger

8. i’m so sorry..
    :’(

9. KirkH says:

I did not know the man but just wanted to pay my respects to a guy who helped create something I couldn’t do without.

10. Pingback: developercast.com » Pro::PHP Podcast: Newscast for 2007.06.28

11. c24 says:

I didn’t know toggg, but wish him some place in heaven for helping so many benefit from his work. Deep condolences and strength to his family & loved ones.

12. God’s mercy upon him all the time and God let him always rest in peace !

13. Joe Vadakkan says:

Thank you for your great service to the PHP community.

14. Igor says:

Lorg, rest Bertrand soul in your Kingdom of Peace!

15. I have never heard of him, nor of this project, until just now. I am a 12 year old programmer, and I do work in C++ and PHP. I am sad at the loss of another coder. May you and your soul rest in peace, toggg.

16. COil says:

So sad… I have just read old mail from him where he was explaining me so kindly how to modify my sources to meet pear cs… :/ rest in peace Bertrand and thanks for all you made for the open source community.

COil

17. Igor Feghali says:

18. What about his family? Need something/help?

19. Robert says:

Wow. So strange to be wondering why he hasn’t responded to my email and then to find this on the Pear website. He was such a character – strong opinions, solid code, and a love for Pear. I guess we won’t get to open a bottle of champagne together to celebrate Net_Monitor going public after all. So strange to miss a man I never met in person. My sympathies are with his family.

20. bumbar says:

Ooops! He is living. With php code.

21. Damn! It was more than a month. I never know about this, why so!?

toggg is my buddy, much conversations has made on many topics at IRC. He also pushed me to be a good developer. He is not only a good coder and a good friend, I can talks anything with him and I have learn many stuffs from his experiences.

So this is why I never seen him at IRC anymore when I’m back to IRC after few months away. I’m really sad to heard this news, we’re gonna miss you. Good bye my friend :(

My deepest sympathies to his family.

22. NeoTiger says:

I don’t know him but I thank him for all his great works done for Pear and open source community.

Respect to him, my sympathies to his family.

23. dmx prime says:

Rest in peace man :(

So sad.

Is there talk of how his Wife and Kids are to be cared for. I understand France has a pretty good Welfare system if worst comes to worse, but maybe the Open Source community should at least pass a hat around to help out with the funeral costs. Its the least we can do to repay him.

Man. So much of the net uses that Validation library. Bertrand might not of known it, but he made a difference in the world.

Sleep well toggg

24. Luca F. says:

I agree on the donation, it won’t replace a father, but it might give some relief to her wife and the 4 kids she will have to raise on her own…

25. Ben says:

I’ve never heard about him but I want to extend my deepest sympathy to his family.

26. eshiont says:

A world’s loss!!

27. Jason says:

I don’t know him but i am really saddened about this.May his soul rest in peace and my deepest sympathies to his family…

toggg you will be missed…

28. Daniel (datenpunk) Khan says:

I am very sad to hear about this. Also my deepest sympathy to his big family. His children and grand children.
    All that said – It is great that he was known and respected by so many people around the globe.

Thank you and sleep well toggg.

29. ji zhang says:

I dont know him, but I would like give my respect to him, wish all the best to his wife and children.

30. K. Babu Rao says:

Felt very unhappy. And it is a great loss to the developers community. I pay homage to rest his soul in peace.

31. dmondark says:

Good by toggg.

He and his work have helped thousands around the years… I higly recommend the financial contribution, if its not for people like him, alot would not be able to stand on their feets when it comes to programming. And after all, the community is about contribution. Please let us know if there would be any way to donate. The world must know that free work should not go unpaid.

32. Pingback: The PEAR Project mourns the loss of Bertrand Gugger